News & Event

• Home
  • News
  • News & Event
Daejeon Mayor-Elect Huh Tae-jung to Turn Daejeon into a Special 4IR City
Date
Views

According to Yonhap News,

(DAEJEON=Yonhap News) On June 25, Daejeon Mayor-elect Huh Tae-jung announed he will turn Daejeon into a special Fourth Industrial Revolution city by developing startups.

Mayor Huh said he will take on the issue of job creation as his first task in office.

Huh stated, "There are many urgent pending issues, but citizens have great hopes for the creation of new jobs. I will work to elevate Daejeon in to a special Fourth Industrial Revolution city to create new growth engines, and focus on developing startups to create more jobs."

He went on to add, "During the election process, I realized once again how big the gap between the West and the East is within Daejeon. In all areas including the economy, culture and education, I will make sure we achieve balanced growth and see to it that all citizens are well off in Daejeon."

When asked about policy enforcement, he replied, "As I stated during the election process, I will push for a government for the citizens and will take into consideration their opinions from the preparation stages to the enactment of policies."

He also added, "After the inauguration, I will find ways to fulfill the commitments I made during the election, and set up a new committee to establish a long-term roadmap for Daejeon's development. The committee will not only reflect the voices of the citizens in the road map, but will act as a platform for direct participation."

Huh plans to benchmark Presient Moon Jae-in's practice of collecting policy suggestions directly from citizens so that Daejeon citizens can also participate directly in the municipal government.

He added the need to upgrade the local government.

"We will actively advocate civil rights, strengthen intergovernmental governance and governance to increase citizen participation so that they can intervene in the local government. We will place citizens at the center of all of our services, not laws and institutions.

jkhan@yna.co.kr

Copyrights Yonhap News. All Rights Reserved.
Reprint or redistribution without permission is prohibited.

Source Text

** This article was translated from Korean.

Source: Yonhap News (June 25, 2018)