News & Event

• Home
  • News
  • News & Event
New chief organizer of 2018 Winter Games vows to deliver historic event
Date
Views

According to Yonhap News,

(SEOUL=Yonhap News) Lee Hee-beom, new chief organizer of the 2018 PyeongChang Winter Olympics, said Friday that he will do his utmost to ensure South Korea successfully hosts its first Winter Games.

Lee was elected unanimously as the new president of the PyeongChang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (POCOG) last week at the committee's general assembly. The 67-year-old took over the post that was previously held by Cho Yang-ho, chairman of Hanjin Group, who abruptly resigned earlier this month to concentrate on corporate affairs.

"I feel honored, but at the same time, I feel a heavy responsibility and sense of duty," Lee said in his first press conference as the POCOG chief. "I know we are running out of time and have financial issues, but we will make good on the successful hosting of the Olympics."

Lee said that his goal is to make the PyeongChang Games an economical, peaceful, cultural and environmental Olympics. He added that all of the committee's preparations will be in line with this goal.

"The Olympics will raise South Korea's reputation in the world and will unite all South Koreans," he said. "We will prepare thoroughly and make the PyeongChang Games go down in history."

Lee also promised that he will maximize the use of experts and closely cooperate with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and all parties involved to complete the task at hand. Making the PyeongChang Games "sustainable" was another goal of the former commerce minister.

"Even after the games, we want to see cities like PyeongChang and Gangneung become famous spots that can attract people from all over the world," he said.

Lee began his new job as the chief organizer this week, taking a two-day trip to PyeongChang, some 180 kilometers east of Seoul in Gangwon Province, to visit facilities for South Korea's first Winter Olympics. He toured Jeongseon Alpine Centre and PyeongChang Alpensia Sports Park on Monday and inspected the construction of the Gangneung Oval in Gangneung, also a city in Gangwon Province, on Tuesday.

"Everything is going according to plan," he said. "I tend to have more field inspections because I think you can't find solutions if you just sit inside the office."

Lee, a long-time bureaucrat and corporate executive, admitted that he has little experience in sports administration. But he emphasized his past career as an adviser for PyeongChang's Olympic bidding committee in 2006 and then as the head of the bidding committee for the Gwangju Summer Universaide in 2008.

"I did follow the issues of the PyeongChang Games because I've also served as a consultant for the POCOG after we won the bid," he said. "I know people's expectations and concerns about me, but I will solve them."

Gunilla Lindberg, head of the IOC's Coordination Commission for the PyeongChang Games, said that the IOC has "no fear" of Lee being the chief organizer and is confident that he can accomplish the tasks he's given.

"We've been greatly impressed by President Lee's energy and passion for the project," the Swede said. "I have no doubt that under Mr. Lee's leadership, his capable team for PyeongChang 2018 will deliver an outstanding games that have a unique Korean feel."

kdon@yna.co.kr

Copyrights Yonhap News. All Rights Reserved.

Source Text

Source: Yonhap News (May 19, 2016)